Friday, August 6, 2010

If I were a writer...

If I were a writer I could tell you how amazing this stew was. I could describe the silky richness that the egg yolk imparted to the gravy, the way that the light scent of cinnamon mingled with the fresh, bright lemon. I could tell you how the texture of tender lamb, hearty potatoes, and smooth gravy felt like they were just made for each other.

But...I'm clearly not a writer. If I could airmail a sample of this stew to Molly Wizenberg, I would; she'd know just what to say. She'd say it beautifully. Her description would, no doubt, make you want this stew even if you hate lamb and potatoes and yogurt and cinnamon.

Nope. I can't do it justice, for sure. But I can tell you this...after coming across this recipe on Cooking By the Seat of My Pants, I officially have a new dish in my "Top 10 favorite foods". This is so delicious, so interesting, so satisfying....well, I just can't even begin to tell you. The best I can do is show you the PROOF...see here- the gigantic pot being scraped clean by a hand that just looks HAPPY??? I realize it's not the most appetizing picture, but you needed to know the truth. If we could've licked the bottom of that pot, we would've. I cannot wait to make this all winter long. TRUE COMFORT FOOD AT ITS BEST!

Don't forget to make some chapati to go with this stew. I used some fresh chives from the garden in this batch. TOO good! Oh- and as always...I've added fresh cilantro to the stew. The original recipe didn't call for it, but it was truly perfect with it. The original recipe also removes the potatoes from the stew, but I left the chunks of potato in and would highly recommend it.

Turkish Lamb and Yogurt Stew (aka "make ya wanna slap somebody stew")
  • 1 1/4 lb lamb, on the bone (I used lamb steaks, but you could use chops, etc)
  • 9 cups vegetable stock (I had homemade stock in the freezer that was NOT salted)
  • 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled and diced in app. 1" pieces
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • scant 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • water- may need to add, see below
  • 1/3 cup whole milk plain yogurt
  • 1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 egg yolk
  • juice of half a lemon
  • 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, depending on desired heat (I went with 1/4 tsp)
Add lamb steaks and vegetable stock to a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down, cover, and simmer for 2 hours or until lamb is nearly falling off the bone. Remove lamb from pot and "clean" (remove bone and fat). Tear lamb into pieces and set aside.

Add the diced potatoes to the stock, cover, and boil until potatoes are tender. You will need to watch this to make sure it doesn't dry up. I had to add 1 cup of water about halfway through. Once potatoes are tender, add the cinnamon, paprika, black pepper, and salt. Stir well, cover, and then keep over low heat.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt and flour until smooth. Add egg yolk and lemon juice and whisk well. Temper egg mixture by ladeling a bit of the hot broth into egg mixture while whisking constantly. Once tempered, add egg mixture to stock pot and stir until well combined. Return the lamb pieces to the pot, cover, and allow to heat through (about 5 minutes).

In the meantime, melt the butter and red pepper flakes over low heat. Drizzle a bit of the pepper butter over each serving of stew and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with chapati or flatbread.

Servings- uh, well I guess it could serve 4 with a big salad or something. The two of us ate the whole thing. Don't judge us.

Chive Chapati
  • Check out this link for great instructions on making chapati and incorporating herbs into them. Her pictures are so helpful! She calls them "pancakes", but it's no different. Note that you might have to add a bit more water than her recipe calls for. Just add a little at a time until your dough comes together and pulls away from the bowl.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh, goodness. This looks INSANELY delicious. And you ARE a writer, my dear, every bit as good as Ms. Wizenberg.

I'm going to STOP emphasizing in CAPS now :)

Joel and Katie said...

I want some of this right now!!! I can't wait to get some lamb from Letty!

Simply Life said...

Oh my gosh, that does look amazing!

Lauren said...

This sounds really good, you say you are not a writer but you definitely sold it to me!

maw-ee said...

....'amen' to all the above comments, li'l sista!.....

Lose Weight Fast said...

Well I am glad you aren't a writer, I would be really drooling onto my key board. Thanks for something new to cook with lamb.

Emily Malloy said...

Hey now, I think your descriptions were to adore! Girlfriend, you ARE a writer. Who you kiddin'

Jerry (CbsoP) said...

I'm glad you liked it! I made the traditional version, which calls for removing the potatoes, but it's not breaking my heart that you left them in. I think it would make it even more amazing... if that's even possible

 
Site Meter